As a big fan of Korean skincare and makeup, like you, I’ve probably heard of Aegyo Sal a lot. But since I didn’t know what it was for a long time, I’ve now taken a closer look at it.
After talking to experts and doing a lot of research, I can now not only tell you what Aegyo Sal is but have also created the perfect tutorial for you on how to achieve this look yourself.
Table of Contents
Aegyo Sal Tutorial
If you are already familiar with the topic and just want to know the 5 steps, I have summarized them for you here:
- Step 1: Start with a clean and prepped face
- Step 2: Line your lower lash line with a soft brown or black eyeliner
- Step 3: Use a highlighter for the under-eye area
- Step 4: For added definition, use a slightly darker eyeshadow under this area
- Step 5: Blend the shadows and highlight well
If you don’t know exactly what this is and need more detailed instructions, just read on. I have summarized everything well and also give tips for a long-lasting look, and provide you with my best product recommendations.
Understanding Aegyo Sal
When it comes to Aegyo Sal, it’s important to understand the difference between Aegyo Sal and under-eye bags. While under-eye bags are often seen as undesirable, Aegyo Sal is a desirable feature that adds a youthful charm to your appearance.
To achieve the Aegyo Sal look, you need a few makeup items like a highlighting pencil or eyeshadow, a darker contouring pencil or eyeshadow, and a blending brush to create that perfect gradient.
Quick tip: If you don’t have a highlighting or contouring pencil, you can use light and dark eyeshadows instead!
To create Aegyo Sal, start by identifying the area under your lower lash line where the natural puffiness is present. Apply the highlighting pencil or light eyeshadow along your natural Aegyo Sal, with the highest concentration in the center and gradually fading towards the edges.
Next, apply the contouring pencil or dark eyeshadow just below the highlighted area, and use your blending brush to gently blend both colors.
Remember: Practice makes perfect, so don’t be discouraged if your first attempt isn’t flawless. With a little patience and persistence, you’ll soon master the art of achieving that adorable Aegyo Sal effect.
Significance of Aegyo Sal in Korean Beauty
Korean beauty, or K-beauty, emphasizes natural beauty with a focus on achieving healthy, glowing skin. Aegyo sal has become an integral part of K-beauty, making its way into makeup routines to achieve a youthful and adorable appearance.
With aegyo sal, the eyes appear brighter, more open, and give a vibrant expression.
Creating aegyo sal is not limited to just one technique:
- Contouring: Gently contour the area just beneath your lower lashes to create a subtle shadow, resulting in a natural, plumped-up appearance.
- Highlighting: Amplify the charm by applying a highlighter over the previously contoured area, enhancing the illusion of a fuller, more radiant under-eye.
Many Korean celebrities, such as actresses and K-pop idols, are known to sport aegyo sal, making it a desirable trait for fans and everyday makeup enthusiasts alike. It quickly gained popularity worldwide, becoming a staple in many makeup routines from casual, everyday looks to glamorous party styles.
More about K-pop and it’s influence on the skincare world in our K-pop makeup guide.
Before we jump into a step-by-step tutorial, let’s gather the essential materials needed for this fun and unique makeup technique.
To achieve that effortlessly cute aegyo sal look, you’ll need the following items:
- A light-colored eyeshadow or highlighter
- A darker eyeshadow or eyebrow pencil
- A small, precise makeup brush or cotton swab
- A good-quality concealer (optional, but highly recommended)
Having the right materials will make the process smoother and ensure you get the best results. Now, let’s take a closer look at each item.
The light-colored eyeshadow or highlighter is crucial for enhancing the under-eye area and giving your eyes that sought-after youthful glow. Choose a shade that complements your skin tone, but is slightly lighter to create that subtle shimmer.
Next up, the darker eyeshadow or eyebrow pencil helps define and accentuate the aegyo sal. Opt for a shade close to your natural eyebrow color or slightly darker for a more dramatic effect.
A small, precise makeup brush or cotton swab is perfect for applying and blending the eyeshadow accurately. The right tool can make a world of difference in creating clean lines and a natural-looking finish.
Lastly, a good-quality concealer may come in handy for those who have dark circles or want a more polished appearance. It’s important to conceal any imperfections for the aegyo sal to truly shine.
Pro tip: To make your aegyo sal last all day, consider using an eye primer before applying the eyeshadow. This extra step will not only help the colors stay in place but also prevent creasing and smudging.
Step-by-Step Tutorial for Aegyo Sal
Step 1: Start with a clean and prepped face. Apply your usual base makeup: primer, foundation, and concealer, but skip the under-eye area for now.
Step 2: Line your lower lash line with a soft brown or black eyeliner. Gently smudge the line to create a softer and natural shadow effect. This step helps to define the Aegyo-Sal area.
Step 3: Time to highlight – use a shimmery light eyeshadow or highlighter to brighten the under-eye area right below the line you just drew. This accentuates the puffy look of the aegyo sal.
Step 4: For added definition, use a slightly darker shade of eyeshadow or contour powder to draw a thin line right below the highlighted area. This helps create the illusion of a fuller, more youthful under-eye area.
Step 5: Blend the shadows and highlight well, ensuring there are no harsh lines or apparent transitions between the colors.
My Advice: Want to make your eyes look even bigger and brighter? Try using a pearl or champagne colored eyeliner on your lower waterline.
Maintaining Your Aegyo Sal Look
Let me share my secrets with you to keep your aegyo sal fabulous all day long!
1. Prime your eyelids: To ensure the longevity of your aegyo sal makeup, use an eyeshadow primer before applying any product. This will create a smooth, even base and prevent your makeup from smudging or creasing throughout the day.
2. Use waterproof products: Opt for waterproof eyeliner and mascara to avoid any smudging or smearing due to moisture or sweat. These products tend to last longer and hold up better under various conditions.
3. Set with powder: After applying your aegyo sal makeup, lightly dust a translucent powder over the area to set everything in place. This will help your look stay put and prevent it from migrating to other parts of your face.
Pro Tip: Using a small, precise brush can make it easier to control the amount of powder you apply.
4. Carry makeup essentials for touch-ups: Prepare a small makeup bag with essentials like Q-tips, a compact mirror, and your aegyo sal makeup products. These items will come in handy for quick touch-ups throughout the day.
To help maintain your aegyo sal look, follow these simple steps:
- Apply eyeshadow primer
- Use waterproof products
- Set with translucent powder
- Carry makeup essentials for touch-ups
By incorporating these tips into your daily routine, you’ll be able to keep your aegyo sal looking fresh and cute all day long. Remember, practice makes perfect – so don’t get discouraged if it takes a bit of time to master the technique.
Recommended Products and Tools
To help you achieve this adorable Korean look too, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite products and tools that make the process easier and more enjoyable.
- Eyeshadow: Start by choosing a matte eyeshadow that’s one or two shades lighter than your skin tone. This will help create a 3D effect that enhances the aegyo sal. You can find many different shades in Korean eye makeup palettes.
- Eyeshadow brush: A small, angled eyeshadow brush is perfect for applying and blending the eyeshadow. Make sure it has soft bristles to avoid any harsh lines.
- Highlighter: Choose a shimmery highlighter that complements your skin tone. This will make your eyes pop and add a touch of sparkle to the aegyo sal area. I suggest finding a highlighter with a fine texture, for a more natural effect.
- Eyeliner: A soft, brown eyeliner will help to define and emphasize your aegyo sal. It’s essential to use an easily blendable pencil, so you don’t end up with harsh lines.
- Unique makeup tool: You might also want to consider investing in a specialized aegyo sal tool, like the Dear Girls Cute Eyes Maker. This handy gadget promises to create the perfect puffy under-eye effect with minimal effort.
Common Mistakes to Avoid While Creating Aegyo Sal
When I started experimenting with aegyo sal makeup, I quickly realized some common mistakes can ruin the look. To save you from the same fate, I have compiled a list of blunders to avoid while creating aegyo sal for a perfect, youthful eye makeup look.
- Over-highlighting: It’s essential to use only a subtle amount of highlighter to achieve a natural-looking aegyo sal. Too much shimmer can make your eyes look puffy instead of cute.
- Incorrect placement: Placing the highlight and shadow in the wrong areas can accentuate under-eye bags rather than creating a cherubic appearance. Always apply the highlight directly on the area under the eyelashes and the shadow right below it.
Pro Tip: Keep things light and delicate for an authentic aegyo sal look!
- Under-blending: Harsh lines will disrupt the illusion of natural aegyo sal. When you’re applying the makeup, make sure to blend well to maintain a subtle and soft effect.
- Neglecting your skin: Developing an effective skincare routine is essential for successfully creating aegyo sal, as the look can be unflattering on dry or uneven skin. Make sure to moisturize and exfoliate regularly.
- Using incompatible colors: The selection of colors for contouring and highlighting should be compatible with your skin tone. Choosing the wrong shades might make the area under your eyes stand out in a less-than-flattering way.
Aegyo Sal vs Natural Under Eye Bags
I know, the idea of intentionally creating under-eye bags might seem counterintuitive, but let me introduce you to aegyo sal: a popular Korean beauty trend.
Do you have problems with under eye bags? Check out our article about gua sha for under eye bags!
Aegyo sal, otherwise known as “cute eye fat,” is all about enhancing the small pockets of fat beneath the eyes to make them look youthful and lively. But wait, aren’t under-eye bags bad? Well, there’s a difference between the two.
First, let’s talk about natural under-eye bags. These are typically caused by fluid retention or a lack of sleep, making the eyes appear tired and puffy. No one wants that!
On the other hand, aegyo sal is a purposeful beauty technique that gives the eyes a more cheerful and youthful appearance. In short, aegyo sal is all about creating a positive impression, while under-eye bags can make you look exhausted.
Now that we know the difference, let’s dive into some key elements to achieving the perfect aegyo sal:
- Contouring: Use a light brown eyeshadow or contour powder to create a soft shadow below the area you want to emphasize. This will give the illusion of a gentle puffiness and depth to your lower eyelid.
- Highlighting: Brighten up the puffy area with a shimmery or light-colored eyeshadow, creating a contrast to make it stand out more. This will help catch the light and give your eyes that desirable twinkling effect.
- Blending: Don’t forget to blend the contour and highlight shades together to create a natural, seamless transition between the two colors. Nobody likes harsh lines when it comes to makeup!
Advice from Experts
Korean celebrities are often seen flaunting their aegyo sal look. According to a Soko Glam tutorial, achieving the aegyo sal took just about 2 minutes per eye and definitely made the overall appearance more cheerful.
The tool used had plushy foam ends, making it incredibly soft for the delicate eye skin.
Professional Makeup Artist Tips
Professional makeup artists have shared some valuable advice on how to create the perfect aegyo sal:
- Choose the right tools: Using specific tools designed for aegyo sal, like the mentioned plushy foam ends, can make the process easier and more efficient.
- Highlight and contour: A proper balance between highlighting and contouring under the eye area is crucial.
- Stay updated with trends: Makeup styles evolve with time, and so does aegyo sal. In 2022, the use of strong contours and concealers has given way to a fresher look, as reported by Daily Vanity.
Aegyo Sal: A Recap
I’ve found that following a simple tutorial makes creating aegyo sal so much easier. Here’s a quick recap of the most important steps:
- Highlight: Apply a light, shimmery eyeshadow or highlighter along the lower lash line.
- Contour: Gently shade with a soft, matte brown eyeshadow just below the highlight to create the appearance of a shadow.
- Blend: Blend the contour shade and the highlight for a seamless look.
- Eyeliner: Add a thin line of eyeliner along the lower lash line to further define the aegyo sal.
- Mascara: Finish off with mascara on your lower lashes to make your eyes really pop.
What do you call aegyo Sal in English?
In English, “aegyo sal” is often referred to as “cute or charming eye bags” or “eye smiles”.
Why is aegyo Sal so popular?
Aegyo Sal is popular for its association with a cute and youthful look, creating the illusion of larger, expressive eyes. The trend is fueled by media, beauty influencers, and K-pop culture, making it a sought-after and fashionable feature in Korean beauty.
Does Japan have aegyo?
While Japan has its own cultural expressions of cuteness, such as “kawaii,” the specific concept of “aegyo” and “aegyo sal” is more closely associated with Korean culture.
Why is aegyo Sal cute?
Aegyo Sal is considered cute because it creates the illusion of youthful, larger-looking eyes. These subtle under-eye bags, when done with makeup or other techniques, contribute to a more expressive and charming appearance.
If you liked this blog article about the topic: “Korean Skincare Routine Day and Night”, don’t forget to leave us a comment down below to tell us about your experience.